Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's Official

I finally put my stake in the ground. Halloween is my last day to dance with Uncle. I'll be officially pensioned off the following day.

I wondered how it would feel to make it official, and I can now report it's a mixed bag. The division leadership acknowledged my upcoming departure, and it's clear there is an effort building to have a meeting in Chicago (assuming the $$ are there) that will also serve as an opportunity to say "farewell". I heard back from several people who are genuinely happy for me, although sad to see me leave. I have many pics on the Nikon for my Memory Book -- such as it is.

I am relieved that I finally set the date. Yet the trepidation that comes from knowing that I will also find myself on the outside peering in has manifested as well. The relief is winning right now. I have a deadline to complete my own "bucket list" of items prior to retiring. The hunt is on for a replacement on the project. And I have learned of at least 2 colleagues who may be joining me, although they have not been as public as I have regarding their plans. We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, planning for my future, which has been underway for some time, takes on a new urgency.

The notion of Trick or Treat! will take on a whole new dimension!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Congratulations! Honestly, I like my job pretty well, but there are so many things I would like to do, I just don't have time for because I work all the time. I look forward to retirement many a day.