Thursday, March 20, 2008

View of the war

Hat tip to formerspook. Fouad Ajami comments on the state of the Iraq war. I am not a fan of this war, however I am also not a fan of politicians who espouse withdrawal no matter the facts on the ground, a position held by Ms. Clinton.

Reflecting on the war, I remembered some funny dialogue from Star Wars. Luke, Han and Chewbacca are in the lockup trying to rescue Leia, and in the middle of a fire-fight with the guards Leia, ever observant, comments (not an exact quote): This is some rescue! You had a plan for getting in here, did you have one for getting out? We had a plan for getting into Iraq and rescuing the Iraqis from Saddam, but it sure looks like we didn't plan for the victory very well. We botched it pretty good. There are differing views about the surge and its effectiveness. I think it is working. Whether or not it really is will only be demonstrated over the long haul. Especially if Clinton wins and starts yanking soldiers out. Mind you, I have a nephew on his way over, and I have a vested interest in the outcome. I'd hate to see him battle his way out just so Ms. Clinton can say she brought our troops home.

No comments: