Friday, April 27, 2007

A Personal Story

I thought I'd tell this story on myself as it may give folks some insight into my basic personality.

At the tender age of 6 I was sent on a quest to find my 5 year old brother who had not come home from kindergarten. Mom was not well, had 2 other rugrats to look after, and Dad was at work on the 2nd shift. I remember it was pouring rain that day.

We lived in a two-flat and I went downstairs to the lower landing to put on my boots and go looking. I wouldn't have far to go as the public school was only a block and a half away. I attended first grade at St. Leo's, so my brother and I went our separate ways each day.

While I was putting on my boots, Nicky, the fireman who owned the two-flat, came out of his unit and asked what I was doing. I told him. He said I should wait, he'd come with me.

Yeah. Right. Nicky goes into his unit and I marched out the side door. Mom said 'find your brother' and by golly I was going to do just that. I wasn't about to wait for some adult to go do whatever and then take me looking. Time was moving on. I found my brother after nearly reaching his school. He had been held after school for some infraction.

We crossed the main drag and there was Nicky in his bright yellow Ford. We got in and went home, with Nicky chastising me the whole way for not waiting. I wasn't overly impressed with his unhappiness. It was "Mission Accomplished" as far as I was concerned and that was all that mattered.

I thought of that 6 year old as I pondered the Accountability list and worked my new work assignments. She's still here.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I like this post. I used to stand up for people being picked on as a young girl. I have always identified with the under dog and tend to be sympathetic to many points of view- too much so at times. My parents demonstrated against the VietNam war and belonged to "rap" groups. I think some kind of activism is in my blood. Power on Kheris!