Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Green Corps

I haven't been faithfully following other blogs, so this may be redundant, however - I just signed up for the Alderman's Green Corps site. For whatever reason the Administrator has to approve my request, which I think is silly as this is supposed to be an "open community."

I think that fundamentally it's a good initiative that could evolve into something very worthwhile. What I saw in my brief visit wasn't a whole lot, but it's still early in the game and people's priorities may be elsewhere.

And yeah I know, there are those among us who will assert that this is just one more tool to serve the Alderman's interests. Someone else does the work while he takes credit for supporting it. I agree this does serve his interests, and but it may also serve the community's interests. I believe that within the next 2-5 years we are going to find ourselves worse off than before in regards to liquid fuel, i.e. gas and diesel. The impact of higher fuel costs will be felt throughout the economy. Any reductions in public services in response to economic realities, whether provided by government or non-government organizations (NGOs), will have an impact. Rogers Park includes some very vulnerable populations and any reduction in services is going to have serious consequences, which will also reach those of us who think we may be off the hook because we have a roof over our heads, food in the fridge, decent clothes in the closet and the means to pay for it.

The North Coast has commented at this blog about the lack of planning and foresight for an energy constrained future. I agree this is an issue. The Green Corps may provide the catalyst to build community support and initiate the process, or not as the case may be. We won't know unless we try. But this is one baby that doesn't need throwing out with the bathwater just because the Alderman supports it. Unless, of course, you have a better alternative.

No comments: