Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Special Uncle

Have you read Obama's speech about race? I did. I thought a lot about it because it is clear that there are many who will paint Obama as somehow joined at the hip to Reverend Wright's inflammatory views because he took so long to address the issue. Obama compared his relationship to Reverend Wright as one you might have with a beloved uncle, who nonetheless makes you cringe when he makes derogatory comments. Obama also mentioned his white grandmother, and her spoken fears about young black men. Should he disavow her for her feelings?

As I read the speech I was reminded of my own uncle in Texas. He is a living, breathing bundle of contradictions. He got hauled into a Come-to-Jesus meeting with black co-workers who pointed out that the language he used to characterize them (girls) was offensive. He got the message, although he would assert he never meant to offend, and I believe him. Anyone familiar with Dr. Morris Massey's work knows that the times and events that occurred as you grew up influence your values. Obama mounted a similar explanation about Reverend Wright, although I don't know if he is familiar with Dr. Massey's work. That said, my uncle demonstrated more Christ-like behaviour than many might have when we found out my brother was gay.

If I were to run for office, and my uncle's comments to the black co-workers were revealed, would I be expected to censure and distance myself from him? Or does his support for my brother cancel that particular sin? Does the fact that my parents told racist jokes at the family dinner table mean that I agreed with them? Or do I get a pass because my parents would often preface remarks about black people with something along the line of: I'm not trying to be offensive/racist but... and specifically directed that comment to me because I took them to task over racism so often?

At what point do we begin to separate the individual from the group, and focus on their actual beliefs and actions? At what point do we trust the individual who says: I don't subscribe to that viewpoint and my actions prove it? At what point do we recognize that membership in a group doesn't necessarily mean total buy-in to the group's beliefs and behaviours?

In the Catholic Church the pews are being filled by conservatives who would keep the Church in stasis, use religious dogma to trump science, exclude women from full participation in the spiritual life of the Church, and assert the primacy of the hierarchy over the parish community. My uncle is a (mostly) happy member of that band. Also in the pews, but fewer in number, are those who would drag the Church kicking and screaming into the present (the future is another matter). My support goes to them. If I run for office, I'll likely be excoriated by the former but (hopefully) embraced by the latter. Yet my uncle, and our relationship, will still be there. Or will it? And who decides whether I get to keep it? Who is running for office - me or my friends and family? What really matters in deciding my fitness for the job? My overall record, or the beliefs of a single person? Where do we draw the line, and why?

One final point; Obama pointed out that if we are to solve the problems that afflict America we need to recognize that we all contribute to those ills, regardless of color or race. We all need to recognize that we have the power to transcend differences and embrace shared interest in perfecting this country. I agree with him.

1 comment:

Fargo said...

Obama pointed out that if we are to solve the problems that afflict America we need to recognize that we all contribute to those ills, regardless of color or race. We all need to recognize that we have the power to transcend differences and embrace shared interest in perfecting this country. I agree with him.

The picture of racism in this country is made up of millions of tiny pieces. Each of us has the power to choose how our own piece will fall, and perhaps to influence a few of the others. We each have the ability to make a difference with our words and actions.