Saturday, September 15, 2007

Commitments

At the risk of treading on ice here, let me comment on Commitments.

I have just read Toni's post regarding Joe Moore backing away from a commitment he made to the North of Howard Parks Advisory Council. I'll concede that Joe's calendar may have resulted in his unavailability to attend the meeting. I won't concede the failure to distribute the flyer.

Claiming that he doesn't want to overwhelm folks rings rather hollow since I thought the expectation was that he would put more effort into communicating with his constituents. Either Joe doesn't really get the nuances of communication, or he really isn't interested in supporting community groups that he isn't sponsoring or aren't specifically supporting him. At least that is the impression he is leaving.

That he was so uninformed about the NOH PAC and its bylaws at the meeting he attended suggests that ignorance may have been behind his attempt at flexing aldermanic muscle. Or was he attempting to intimidate the group? Is this latest development just another opportunity to snub an organization that isn't in his pocket? I admit to not knowing for sure, but I am certain this stinks.

Aldermen, contrary to what they may think, are public servants first and foremost. It's not about self serving behavior to maintain one's position and power, even if they choose that path. Due diligence in performing their duties is to be expected. Actions that exceed due diligence, such as this, come across as so much posturing for effect. Just another reason why I don't trust this guy. My mother raised me better than that.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

amen I feel the same way.