Monday, March 19, 2007

You're taking this too personal

It's strictly business. Remember Vito Corleone's approach to life; you didn't let slights and acts against you become the basis for a personal vendetta. Stick to business and act on that basis. Anyone can be your rival, but treat them with respect, acknowledge the parameters of the relationship and don't cross paths unnecessarily. That was the way to a successful life. Taking things personally meant losing control, and sometimes your life, as Sonny discovered. Reading the report of Jim Ginderske's appoint to the Zoning and Land Use Advisory Committee I am reminded of the Godfather's admonition not to take things personally. Yet some of the comments would lead one to assume that Jim G has personally betrayed the community. I can almost smell the tar and the torches. When's the rally to ride him out of town?

I think what I am seeing is an overreaction. I don't know the man personally and I don't know what motivated him to do this, but I don't think he deserves the beating he got over at The Broken Heart. Few decisions are without nuance. Why would this be any different?

What I do know about Jim is in the context of what he appears to have accomplished as a community activist. He has been visible and involved. He got JoMo's commitment to a location for the new clinic should the grant come through. That grant was developed with Jim's personal participation so far as I know. He also tipped folks off to the meeting about the lakefront, to which no one had been invited from RP. He had some very solid ideas of what to do for the community. JoMo's acknowledgement of Jim's activity and impact is a not so subtle recognition of his own deficits.

Jim has vision and energy. JoMo has donors. We will learn if Jim is pragmatic and committed to making things happen, or a rubber stamp for JoMo. JoMo, if he is as smart as he thinks he is, will listen to Jim if he wants to be seen as more than just hot air. Jim, if he is equally smart, will extend his knowledge of how things get done and build the base he needs to win the next time he runs.

It's too soon for me to know how this will work out. I am hopeful that Jim's presence marks the start of a change, however slowly it may play out. In four years, when we do this again, we will have a much better view of the situation, and a much better idea of what Jim's real motives may be.

Until then, don't take it so personal.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

You're joking, right? You think that Jim's presence on JoMo's committee will do anything? hahahahahaha. Should JoMo prevail on 4/18, it's back to business as usual, pay to play, irrespective the game of musical chairs. I don't take it personally that JG has gone over to the other side. This is an expected outcome from day #1. I do take it personally, though, when I see people believing that JG was ever a good guy and not some unemployed, looking for a job huckster. JG has not been able to make a living as an electrician. The day trading thing didn't work either. In short, the only hope this guy has of stable income is on the payroll of some political hack. Kind of like Anne Sullivan. At least all the rats are now on the same ship. Hopefully it will sink.

Kheris said...

I am not joking and I was quite clear as to how well I don't know Jim:

I think what I am seeing is an overreaction. I don't know the man personally and I don't know what motivated him to do this, but I don't think he deserves the beating he got over at The Broken Heart. Few decisions are without nuance. Why would this be any different?

Everything you have to say is based on knowledge I simply don't have, so I can't jump to any conclusions as to his knowledge, skills, abilities or whatever else he does, or doesn't, bring to the table.

If JoMo wins, yes there will still be pay to play, and I don't expect to see transformational change just because JG is on the zoning committee. That doesn't mean he can't be effective or move things in a better direction. Or do you see this as just another nick in Jim's belt, another checkpoint towards claiming he is a viable candidate the next time he wants to run?

Pamela said...

Yes, this is just another nick in JG's belt in his latest career move (since none of the other careers have worked out). JG won't be effective because he'll do JM's bidding -- if he wants to keep his position and leverage it into something more that pays. And JM will need to do the bidding of whoever will give him campaign $$ for his next race be it as alderman or as Aunt Jan's would be replacement.