Friday, March 02, 2007

Are Fagus and Moore For Real?

I just read Fagus' blast on Gordon after being tipped off by Craig's post at The Broken Heart.

I have called Fagus a hypocrite before, and the man appears determined to live down to that assessment. He mocks Gordon's statements on future campaign funding, asking about the present funding. Fagus is apparently quite happy to accept whatever dollars are tossed Moore's way. I looked at the D-2s for all the candidates, and Moore's is permeated with business contributions. The numbers and dollars associated with business contributions to the challengers simply don't equate to Moore's. The scale is far different. Should there be any business contributions? The pragmatist in me expects that there will, but Gordon is determined to break that chain once elected. Are Fagus and Moore?

Moore campaigns on his past accomplishments. Gordon (indeed all of the challengers) campaigns on a vision of the future. Far different approaches. The length of time it took to get the Gale Field House going, and no explanation by the alderman, is inexplicable to me, and I work in the federal bureaucracy. The inability to get Gateway rented up, and Howard St off its collective back, is not helpful to the community. The arrival of a restuarant and entertainment venue on Morse is a positive development. Where are the other new businesses? Are there other businesses standing in line? Dan Sullivan pulled Jarvis Square together. What is Dev Corp North doing for the rest of the ward?

Why didn't the Alderman have the facts regarding the liquour license issue on Clark St.? Why did a challenger have to prove that the owner was lying to the Alderman's office? I don't believe for one minute the Alderman's staff investigated anything. Why did the Alderman waste valuable political capital on the infamous foie gras issue, and then mishandle the Big Box ordinance, leaving himself wide open to charges of singling out specific businesses and thus potentially damaging the city's economy? Why did he engage in forbidden tactics at multiple polling places? Flat out illegal and unethical behavior. He was admonished at the time of the infraction by the representative for the State's Attorney, and failed to comply with the request to surrender his poll credentials. There are no such charges laid at any challenger's feet.

So, Mr. Fagus, since you are the fount of all wisdom as it pertains to Moore, tell me why I should waste my vote on an incumbent who has demonstrated a lack of future vision, gross political incompetence, and a willingness to break the law when it suits him?

I moved here because I am reminded of the Ohio neighborhoods I grew up around, and because I believe Rogers Park is a good place to live. I intend to live here a good long time. I don't intend to do so with Moore as Alderman if at all possible. I simply do not believe Moore has the leadership skills, ethics, or political savvy to do the job any longer.

No comments: