Sunday, February 04, 2007

Dominicks @ Gateway

Was reading yesterday's post about the forum at HowardWatchers and noted a comment attributed to Chris Adams:

He added that Dominick’s has a watch list and the one in the Gateway Mall has been added. Joe begged to differ – (out of line/order too)

I don't know if Chris is right but it wouldn't surprise me if he was and here is why:

I shop that Dominicks because it is the closest one to me. As part of my walking program I get off the El at Argyle and walk home, just over 3 miles. Along the way is the Dominicks at Thorndale and Broadway. What a difference!

The Thorndale Dominicks is busy in the evening, I won't vouch for any other time. The Starbucks, the cooked foods, the flower shop and the fresh produce are all awaiting you at the front door. I just get a coffee, but I did stroll the store once to get a feel for it. The aisle's are a little tighter, but not enough to be a problem. It's clean and there is plenty of stuff out on the shelves. All of the checkouts were manned along with baggers.

The Gateway store is a big warehouse. At least that is what came to mind as I looked up at the ceiling. It has plenty of stuff, but it feels pretty sterile compared to Thorndale. I can't quite put my finger on the difference. It was 10:30 AM yesterday when I arrived to shop and the store didn't seem busy at all. Three checkouts were open, 2 of them express, and no lines, barely any waiting, even when I finally checked out.

One thing that stands out for me; the flower shops are totally different. I can't buy flowers by the bunch or stem at Gateway, at least not now. But I can over at Thorndale, and that is important to me because a couple of flowers in a small bowl or vase can really brighten a room. I have some definite opinions about what flowers I like and I know which ones will last a while. That difference alone, believe it or not, is enough for me to consider switching stores. I just have to wonder if the those different flower shops are, in some way, a metaphor for the perception of the shopping clientele.

The checkers are pleasant enough and the store personnel are helpful. But there is something off at the Gateway. Maybe it's the obstacle course of specials between the aisles and the doors. Maybe it's the high ceilings. Whatever it is, the one at Thorndale just feels more cheerful and perhaps that is simply due to the visible number of people in the store vs the available space.

The real test is in the revenue. If Chris Adams has definite information on the status of the Gateway Dominicks he needs to cite the source.

5 comments:

Kheris said...

I saw the article about the closure on Ridge and the transition to Lifestyle stores. I think that is great news.

And thanks for asking the manager.

Jocelyn said...

Well, I'm not sure we can entirely trust what the manager says. I've seen plenty of times where people get the ax and didn't see it coming in my corporate experience, but I hope he's right.

I would say the problem with the Dominick's on Howard is it is not "human scale" - it's massive and feels empty and impersonal. I also prefer the one on Broadway and it has a better selction. It feels lived in and like humans go there. I can't stand huge stores like the one on Howard but I do go there sometimes too.

I've never seen the Howard store half as busy as the Broadway one on weekends.

Kheris said...

Well, I am glad to know I am not the only one who feels that way. Perhaps that impersonal feel is why they are not as busy.

Fargo said...

Many people who regularly shopped at the Gateway store in its first few years got fed up with the increasingly surly employees, long checkout lines, poor produce at high prices, elimination of many favorite products, etc., and started shopping mostly at other stores.

Management has often been unresponsive to complaints, including the poorly placed bike rack, which accommodates few bikes because it is too close to the wall.

Kheris said...

My personal rant is the lack of hooks for granny carts.